Sunday, December 6, 2009

Teen Reporter Spotlight: Eliana Grijalva-Rubio




Writing and reading a magazine made for themselves by themselves, our Teen Reporters take a sense of pride and ownership in Latinitas. Readers of the e-zine look forward to anything from reviews and feature stories all the way to celebrity profiles and blogging. High school sophomore Eliana Grijalva-Rubio has found her calling being a Teen Reporter and said she is enjoying the "perks."

"The magazine really puts you right into the middle of the media. I've learned so much about stuff like interviewing and research, and even stuff I normally wouldn't go after, like radio journalism and photography. It's made me feel like a real journalist. And the perks never hurt!" Eliana said.

Just having joined Latinitas this summer, the 15-year-old said participating in Teen Latinitas Council has made her more confident.

"I feel like an actual reporter now, and it's given me the confidence to e-mail random people and ask them for help in my writing. I can really say I'm a writer now, and I feel like I'm a part of something, and like I'm a part of the media," Eliana added.
Eliana attends the Da Vinci School for Science and Arts. She plans to study Journalism and apply to the University of Southern California.

Juggling high school, homework, extra-curriculars, and still reporting for Latinitas Magazine, Teen Latinitas Reporters are taking it to the streets and writing about it.

No comments: